Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Margaret Becker, Cafe Forte, 6/18/07

Margaret Becker has had a long and distinguished career in Christian music. When I first started discovering contemporary Christian music in the 80's, one of the first albums I bought was one of hers. Her appearance at Cafe Forte (held at Edgehill Studios Cafe) was one of the most personally inspiring evenings I've ever spent. Margaret's songs and her testimony about her career journey lit a fire of encouragement under all of us artists and non-artists. Her voice is a beautifully strong and expressive instrument.

Margaret's beginnings were rather humble...she worked as many as seven jobs in her native Long Island before going for her dream in Nashville. She paid some serious dues once here, living in precarious conditions and playing multiple roles from backup singer to merch person to driver in her early tours. Yet, early on in her journey when things were tough, she declared, "I came here to do what I'm supposed to do and until I'm told otherwise, I will proceed." Eventually, a chance encounter with someone she met while in college led to her getting a record deal.

Margaret told the crowd to be true to whatever their calling is and it was something that they MUST do if their passion is strong. The Dove award winner emphasized that it was not about how many numbers of people you play to and how many accolades you get...touching even one person is worth it all. Addressing the pitfalls that come with being an artist, she also powerfully reminded us that "broken bread feeds many."

I found Margaret to be one of the most approachable, down to earth of the established artists I've met in my time here, very generous with her time and her encouragement talking to people in between sets and afterward.

After this evening, I too felt more empowered to continue doing what I came to Nashville to do.

No comments: