Monday, April 7, 2008

Guitar BQ 6 - 4/6/08

After enduring nearly a full week of rain, the weather timely and appropriately became sunny and glorious just in time for the 6th annual Guitar BQ. This event is a larger version of Doak Turner's monthly 3rd Sunday songwriter potluck and get-together(Doak's Nashville Muse newsletter this week gives the count as over 450 in attendance). That for one thing meant tons more great food. The dessert section in particular was a sight to behold (since I don't do sugar anymore, that's all I did). You also had lots of barbecue chicken and pork, and several other dishes brought by attendees (my biggest weaknesses: the succotash and as usual, grapes).

It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway: It also meant lots more great music. I bounced around from place to place trying to check out as many of the rounds as possible. It was way too large for me to try to capture many new names, but let's just say I heard quite a few new talented folks. More people also meant more variety of instruments brought into the mix: percussion, an accordion, fiddles and mandolins found a place among the sea of guitars.

I had a couple of things to commemorate at this event. It was the official one year anniversary of my arrival here in Nashville, lock, stock and Geo Metro. I didn't get to town in time for last year's Guitar BQ, but last May I came to 3rd Sunday as a fly on the wall, hoping to find out if there was anything I could do to encourage songwriters here. I sure found out in a big way, and I cherish all the hugs I get and give from the many dear people I've met here who have allowed me into their world.

It was also the beginning of the retirement of the red hat, now that I've had a makeover with a new hairdo that is not compatible with hat wearing. I'll be looking forward to the photos taken of me and my new 'do (thanks as always, Kat!).

I love to eat, I love music and I love this town.

No comments: