Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hippie Chick Twang, Tin Pan South, Edgehill Studios Cafe, 4/3/09



This past week I've been reflecting on the fact that this weekend marks two years ago that my little car and a Dodge Caravan rolled into town from St. Paul, MN and brought me and what little left I had here to Nashville. I get asked all the time, "how's life in Nashville?" Well, I use words like "awesome" and such, but honestly, I don't think they come close to describing how truly lucky I am to be living here among such incredible musicians and people.

Nothing came close to capturing that feeling for me than to have been part of the Hippie Chick Twang Tin Pan South showcase. It featured my dear friends Kim McLean and Devon O'Day, my "new buddy" Eve Selis, and new (to me) amazing ladies Shana Morrison and Robin English.

Now, I must share that before this I was privileged to be part of a gathering with most of these folks and many others a couple of days before. All of that capped off with a jam which filled my soul over the top. To be sitting sandwiched in between two musicians I admire most in this town and hear them play together for the first time, hearing these amazing women pour out their heart, soul and passion into their music...well, someone was smart to have put a tissue box where I was sitting because there were times when I needed it. Then, imagine having the daughter of Melanie ("Brand New Key", etc.) sing a little of her mom's song "Beautiful People" just for you. Could anything have been as wonderful? As it turns out, there was more to come.

Many of those who were with me that same day also showed up at Edgehill Studios for the showcase, so we were already "like family". So, the spirit in the room pouring forth from these fabulous women throughout the evening bonded us all, and I would say God showed up as well. Many of the songs in the show were co-written by the amazingly prolific Kim McLean. Having gotten to know her and Devon better over these past few months (and taking in quite a bit of their shows and being dubbed the "support angel" by them), a lot of these songs were already close to heart, like "Angels and Eagles" and several songs from Kim's latest release "Rapunzel's Escape".

Even earlier this week, having met her in the Tuesday night prayer group I attend that Kim and Devon coordinate, no one had quite the impact on me like Eve Selis. You know how you just bond instantly? This lady loves, lives and gives from her center, as a singer and as a person. A mom with a teenager and two year old in her 40s, that life experience only served to enhance the power and passion which she expressed from the deep part of her soul. If we could all follow even a fraction of that in our own lives and how we relate to one another, this world would be much the better for it.

As well, we all were impressed and moved by Robin English and Shana Morrison (daughter of Van), by the sheer power of their voices and the words and passion of their songs. All of whom were backed by the mighty Hippie Chick Twang band of the amazing Tom Shinness on multi-string instruments, Chris Herrin on bass, "Will McJ" on drums, Mark Twang on guitar (and I apologize for not having the name of Shana's guitarist--I'll add it later once I find out).

One thing that made me feel good was that two or three of the performers told me they loved my energy and enthusiasm and it helped them feel supported. That's what I do and what I'm here for...and these dear people sure made it easy to be enthusiastic.

Wow. What a blessing. And what two amazing years so far. I love my life here. I love this town.

No comments: