Sunday, May 20, 2007

3rd Sunday at Doak's

A couple of people directed me to an event well known to the songwriting community in Nashville: Doak Turner's 3rd Sunday get-together. I made plans to come by there to try to meet some songwriters, find out how to best support them and hear some great music. There is also lots of great food there, too.

Being that I was not a songwriter, I sort of started out being a fly on the wall. This may shock some people, but I'm kinda shy in groups where I am new. (Of course, I am always pretty comfortable near a food table.) It's hard for me sometimes to just go and say "hey, I'm Wendy". I didn't know if people would get why I was there. Then, the song rounds started and I went in and eavesdropped on a couple of groups. Oh my goodness. This songwriting talent here is just as incredible as I'd imagined. And there are also a lot of very good singers among these writers. When somebody very kindly passed me a guitar, then I got to tell people that I was an interloper who was there to show support and encouragement.

I tell you what, I would go and hear many of these folks at a gig if I could. There were so many that I didn't catch a whole lot of names (so if I gave you a card and you see this, get in touch and remind me who you are!). One young singer/songwriter who impressed us was Brian James, originally from Seattle who's been in Nashville for a couple of years. Go to his MySpace page (linked above) and you'll hear a song I liked a lot "Room To Breathe". In the small world department, I also hooked up with and got to hear Tara Oliver and her husband Scott. Tara found me online and wrote to me about her music as I was just firming up my final move details, and I left off telling her I'd send her my contact information after I moved...but I forgot to. So I was glad to meet her here and be reminded of that. Tara will be playing at a Nashville singer/songwriter event at Caffeine on June 6 which I plan to be part of and report back on. I also met Kat the photographer/songwriter who I met on MySpace and who invited me to come to Doak's place, and of course Doak himself who was ever sweet and welcoming. OK, I'll quote his response when I told him my reason for being there: "It's better to be a musician supporter than an athletic supporter."

In the course of the afternoon, my question of "do these songwriters here need encouragement?" was answered "yes". I think I have a stronger heart for them now than ever before. Go and hear as many of these artists as you can. They will grab your heart in an instant.

No comments: