Friday, December 19, 2008

December 2008 - Oh What A Night: Commodore Grille 12/19/08

I got to the Commodore early to hook up with my singer/songwriter friend Brandon Maddox before he left town for the holidays and to hear the first round which was to include a newer such friend, Adam Foster. Unfortunately, Adam was ill and couldn't be in the round with Mareesa Frank, Adam Lewis and Beth Browne. However, I had absolutely no complaints about his replacement.

George Adams, he of the 21 star review I wrote back in October in this blog, happened to be there and was invited to substitute in the round. Though he may have felt he was rusty, that's not what I, my friend and others thought. Even if I did agree, I'd say "so what?" To hear acoustic guitar versions of "Turn The Knife", "Change of Heart" and "Stronger Than Words" (which, yet in that form, did to me what it does to women I know who've heard the song--made me cry) was a special treat for me. I still say in whatever shape, George has one of the greatest voices in this town. As guitarists in rounds often fill in parts for one another, he also did some nice backup vocal work for his fellow participants (as did Beth Browne for George's songs).

All of the others in the round, Mareesa, Adam and Beth, shined brightly as well in their vocals and songwriting. Mareesa is a strong young talent to watch as a singer/songwriter/pianist, Adam is a very solid vocalist and writer, and Beth is a powerhouse vocalist (and congrats to her for having songs recently chosen for a movie).

If that was not enough, another round of magic followed which was full of family. Brother and sister duo the Roys, Elaine and Lee, played with Michael Bonagura and Kathie Baillie (Baillie and the Boys) and their daughter, Alyssa Bonagura, who was home from college in England. (Thus, with her wit matched with our British host, Lorna Flowers, there was lots of English humor during the round.) The camaradie between the Roys and the Bonaguras was warmly evident and the music, well, it just was wonderful. I'd heard the Roys before on the radio and was impressed--and I certainly was hearing them live as well.

It must be a very special experience for any set of musical parents to watch their children's talent flourish with the apple not falling far from the tree. It must also be a thrill for those parents to play music together with their talented children. The pride that mom Kathie, dad Michael and daughter Alyssa had in each other when performing together or separately was obvious and lovely to watch and hear.

I also caught a small portion of what I'm sure was another fine round with Graham Rogers, Susan Suruda, Mark Carson and Kathy Hudson. This entire evening was right up there with the one I raved about at the Commodore in November.

Forgive me if I'm self-indulgent, but the most personal highlight for me that evening didn't come from the music on stage. That was when Mareesa Frank of the first round told me "you're a great listener" and how much it meant to have people paying attention. It's what I pray I give to the singer/songwriters in this town, and it's what keeps me preaching this message of encouragement.

I couldn't have asked for a better unexpected early Christmas gift than this evening. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.

No comments: