Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Summing Up The Year...

Someone who had read my "year end wrap" over at my "Ponderings" blog suggested I ought to do something similar here as well. OK, I will give it a shot.

Looking back over my postings, I've had a pretty amazing year. I took in a lot of awesome shows, both in the singer/songwriter and Christian/gospel circuits. I got to witness some special things I never did before, such as a television show taping and a recording session. I found a venue I made a "second home" (the Commodore Grill...the Bluebird's probably the third). I discovered many great new talented people, including some whose music profoundly impacted my soul and strongly reinforced the reason for doing what it is I do.

Speaking of what I do with this blog...well, let me do just that for a moment. I've been reading "Make Me A Star" by Anastasia Brown. It's an interesting, uncomplicated book. One of the things she mentions is people who always tell an artist he/she is great, when it may not be an honest opinion. I've been very blessed that 99% of those who follow this blog understand what I'm trying to do. But, I've also heard of the 1% who think "yeah, she tells everyone they're great whether they are or not."

In fact, I am quite judicious about what I write in the Blend. I have been to many, many more gigs than what I've written about here. I write about something if I am moved in a special way to. I've heard people who are ready for that major artist cut. I've also heard those I feel may be best going for carving a niche on their own. But I tell you this: when I go to a writers night or a show and you are playing, you will get a smile from me and you will get my attention. I love music, I love musicians and I believe everyone deserves a certain amount of respect for going for their dream and expressing their heart in their music. Above all, I believe that everyone needs encouragement. I'm not in the dream busting business just because I write a blog. There are plenty of critics out there and I don't aspire to that job. First and foremost, I'm a person and a fan. That's the level I relate on and whenever a writer comes up to me and says they've noticed my energy and support and it's made a difference to them, it never gets commonplace and I will never, ever take it for granted.

And you know something else? I'm looking forward to even more in 2009 as I begin my second year of living in Nashville. I love this town...and I love y'all. Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments: