Monday, February 9, 2009

Got Gigs? Plug 'em!

No doubt about it, I've been a busy gal about town these days. If I wanted to, I could be out every night in the week with all that goes on around Nashville. I get a lot of invites to gigs by various musicians, and I can't possibly go to them all. Last week in particular was wild. I had two big events in one night which were great and I took the weekend "off" in order to recuperate from the rest of the week. It's a happy problem to have, most of the time. But a gal has to pick and choose in order to get a good sleep every now and then.

That being said, there are occasions that I hear of a show after the fact from musicians I like or am friends with, and I end up being bummed out because I might have gone to the show had I known about it. So, do make sure you are plugging your gigs well. If you are someone who doesn't play out as much, be sure your show isn't just buried on your calendar. If you are on MySpace, send out a bulletin a couple of days in advance! It's good to have all those bases covered, even though folks who have a large number of MySpace friends get tons of bulletins competing for attention. I hit that 1,000 friend milestone this past week, but I do try to page through those as much as possible. (On the other hand, don't go too extreme and post several bulletins all at once! That can be overkill and it's a turnoff to some people. Moderation is the key.)

And if you really want to make sure someone knows about a show—send an e-mail, too!

Just a little friendly advice from a promo gal...

No comments: