Friday, May 8, 2009

Another Great Night...Commodore Grill 5/7/09

There are great nights of music...and there are GREAT nights of music.

I dropped by the Commodore Grill to check out a few acts on the list for this evening. Two of those I was particularly interested in happened to be paired up for the first round: John Velora and Dr. Jay and Miss Diana. Sometimes the right combinations are just magic and this was one of those. John's catchy pop/rock flavored melodies, skillful guitar playing and excellent vocals are a breath of musical fresh air. If you have not seen and heard Dr. Jay and Miss Diana, you absolutely must. From the moment Diana starts singing "Trying To Get Your Attention", well, you don't take your eyes and ears off her. She draws you in immediately with her voice and her showmanship. Like Eve Selis at the Hippie Chick Twang Tin Pan South show, this gal performs totally from her center. They back it up with great songs and Dr. Jay's fine guitar work (including some very tasty slide playing). In short, I love these folks to death. This round got a standing ovation from me.

It would have been a daunting task for anyone to follow such a dynamic round. Singer/songwriter JW Combs was up for it and delivered with strong material and very fine vocals.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, oh I forgot: Dakota Grove was on the bill for the night, minus CJ Watson and with hit writer Chris Wallin filling in for Daisy Dern.He with Camille Wallin and Scott Sanford grabbed the crowd's attention yet again with as usual superb songwriting, on-stage chemistry and top flight vocals. Camille Wallin is, to me, a major talent, proving so with great songs with "A Good Cry" delivered with power and passion. Scott Sanford is also a strong and diverse writer and vocalist, whether on a ballad or "getting in the groove" (with shades and all during one song). Chris Wallin played his #1 favorites "Don't Blink", "Something To Be Proud Of" and "Love Me If You Can" along with a new song that sounded like it could easily join the others as a future #1.

(Speaking of "Something To Be Proud Of", last time I saw Chris, I told him this story. A couple of years ago, I did the MS Walk in the Twin Cities. I hadn't planned on completing the whole 9 miles, but somehow I did. By the time I got to the finish line, the blisters caught up with me and I could hardly walk. "Something To Be Proud Of" by Montgomery Gentry was one of the songs in my IPod, which I set up for random play that day. The song came on as I made my way to the finish line. I swear to you, the minute I crossed the finish line, the line in the song where Eddie Montgomery says "you did it, man" was playing. True story...I couldn't have planned that one.)

My evening ended with another fine round with writers Ralph Martin, Donnie Winters, Bill Maier and an impressive duo from Houston, Ben and Rose (a beautiful gal with lovely Lady Godiva-like long hair and compelling vocals). My apologies for missing the other scheduled writers on later...my body starts kicking and screaming around 10 p.m.

Debi Champion knows how to serve up a great evening. Thanks to her, there is another sure to be unforgettable night of music in my future...and I'll be telling you more about that very soon.

What can I say except the usual... I love this town.

No comments: