Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What makes a good round? My $.02 and change

As some people know, I go out a lot to shows and writers night rounds. Lately I've been to quite a few of them when I've said out loud to myself(or to whoever's sitting with me) "wow...that was a really great round!".

My perspective on what makes a great round for me is based on being a non-musician out in the audience sitting and listening and observing what's on stage. But I've heard and seen a lot, and I know what I like. So at those places like the Commodore which has several writers playing in one evening or other showcases around town, here are some things I look for. I'll use a couple of examples from when I stuck my head in the door at the Commodore last night.

- Energy and enthusiasm to go with a well-written song. Case in point: Scott Sanford of the mighty Dakota Grove, who know a bit about projecting high energy and crowd connection from the stage. Scott did a solo turn and clearly threw himself into his music. He had the audience cheering, whistling and making requests.

- Round members supporting one another. Now, I realize that not every round put together is made up of people who know each other or have played with each other before and that could affect comfort factor. But from time to time, I'll see rounds where while one person is playing, another on stage is staring into space. I just think each player should give the one who's up at the moment their full attention and support...especially if your fellow players have done that for you. If everyone on stage is into what's happening, that's going to project to the audience and it'll catch on.

A great example was in the same night with the round featuring Dan McCorison, Hillary McBride and Joshua Armstrong. It was great to see how much they enjoyed hearing each other and I felt that enthusiasm. I also enjoy it when people in a round spontaneously add a guitar or vocal part to each other's songs. I'd never heard these three before...all of the above plus the fact that each of them were just plain terrific really impressed me enough to give the round a "standing o" and look them up on MySpace afterward. (Of course, being blown away by people I hear for the first time is my very favorite thing of all!)

There you have it...my $.02 and change for what it's worth.

No comments: