Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mark Elliott, Cary Stone, Aaron Till, Norm's River Road House, 5/20/09


It's been a challenging week. I got cut from a job and there's a mouse in the house. I needed a serious distraction.

I did a wonderful interview with Mark Elliott this past Sunday morning on my radio show "Never Too Old" (read about it here, hear it here). One of the gigs plugged on the show was this one out at Norm's River Road House. I set my VCR (yes, I still have one) for the American Idol finale and headed out for the show. Also on the bill were Cary Stone and Aaron Till.

The intimate venue was filled with family and friends of the three. These guys just brought it for two solid hours. Mark is such a top notch writer, vocalist and guitar player. One of the songs he did was a new one he wrote by request of someone who wanted a song for his baby girl. He was given just a few ideas and came out with a lovely song called "Being You". I wonder what it's like to have that gift.

Cary Stone is a singer/songwriter/guitarist who tours with Mark Chesnutt. It was nice to reconnect with Cary after meeting him at a gathering with Mark Elliott last December. Cary is working on his own album and did this gig on Mark's coaxing to get out and play his tunes. Let me tell you--based on what I heard, not only does Cary need to play his own stuff out more often, but he can easily step into a center stage role. He is a significant talent in the traditional country style.

Mark and Cary were well supported by Aaron Till on fiddle, mandolin, guitar and vocals. He had the opportunity to do a few songs of his own in the set. By far the crowd pleaser was his "stuck record" version of "Tennessee Waltz" which was spot on and had the audiences in stitches.

Commercial radio, pay attention. We love Keith and all the modern sounding folks, but I submit there is just as much of an audience for the traditional sound. Listen to us for once.

By the way, if you get out to Norm's River Road House, you need to try the pizza. It's some of the best I've ever had.

I am rich with musical friends. I love this town.

No comments: